Time flies when you are having fun!

Daisypath Anniversary Years Ticker

January 27, 2006

January 27, 2006

About Me

My photo
I am Brooke. I love my husband. I love my daughter. I love my job because I can pick and choose my schedule and stay home with Harper the majority of the time. I love to do DIY projects. And I love my life!

Race Track

Race Track
Juan, Camie, Josh, Me

CPK Goodbye dinner

CPK Goodbye dinner
Josh, Erin, Brooke, Josh, Brandon, Camie, Juan. Right before we moved to Texas from Cali.

Powered by Blogger.

Monday, August 24, 2009

100th post.



I was looking through my latest pictures and found a few things that I haven't yet blogged about, so here it goes:

Chloe and Otis...

Well, as you mostly likely know, we have two dachshunds. One girl, and one boy, Chloe and Otis. Well, as you can imagine, when Chloe goes into heat, things get a little complicated. We have to keep the dogs separate because Otis goes nuts. All he wants to do is be around her, etc. (We learned this once before, and were going to get her spayed, but never got around to it, unfortunately) So this time around, we kind of new a little bit more about what we were doing. We would keep one inside while the other went outside, they would sleep in separate kennels, and when they were in the house together, we would just keep a good eye on them.

So, this lasts about 3 weeks, and that's kind of annoying, but we learned to deal.

Well, I thought....

So, I'm on my way home from work, or my parent's house, or something, I don't remember and I get a call from Josh and he starts telling me that he let the dogs outside together by themselves for just about two minutes (I think he's saying that to make it sound better, but it was probably longer) and he goes outside to check on them and apparently they are stuck together. So I tell him to get them off of each other. He says, I can't it will hurt Otis. Well, I'm just thinking that he didn't want to be around that and didn't want to deal with it, so I was kind of annoyed that he wouldn't just take Chloe and Otis apart. So, I got off of the phone annoyed, and continued on my way home.

Well, I get out of the car and walk up to the back door (our garage is in the back of our house) and I see the dogs laying in the grass next to each other so I say, "Hi Chloe and Otis." Well, Otis, or course, jumps up all excited like normal to see me, and then I see Chloe kind of trailing behind him, so I look closer, and they really ARE stuck together...

I was frantic and looked up on the internet to try to figure out what we could do. Little did I know that it was normal...I had NO IDEA that that's how it worked. Apparently the male swells inside of the female to help ensure breeding. Weird...anyway.

So, now Chloe is spayed. The next day after this happened, I called the vet to see if there was anything we could do because they are brother and sister and we didn't want to have a puppy litter with dogs that had problems. They told us that we have 3 weeks from when breeding took place to have the female spayed. So, that's what happened. We found out later that she wasn't pregnant, which was great.

She absolutely hated the cone. I felt kind of bad, but she wouldn't stop biting at her stitches. Although she did end up scratching at them a lot, but I couldn't really help that.

Thank goodness we don't have to worry about this anymore!

2 comments:

Maren and Dustin said...

Aaaaand, that's just one more reason why we don't have dogs!

(Love the votes of confidence in your husband smattered about in this post...good thing we know you do indeed love him!)

Tristen said...

Okay, this was halarious! With my little dachsund I had her in to be spayed the MOMENT I could...I couldn't even let her go through heat even ONE time! lol Your dogs are the cutest!