Time flies when you are having fun!

Daisypath Anniversary Years Ticker

January 27, 2006

January 27, 2006

About Me

My photo
I am Brooke. I love my husband. I love my daughter. I love my job because I can pick and choose my schedule and stay home with Harper the majority of the time. I love to do DIY projects. And I love my life!

Race Track

Race Track
Juan, Camie, Josh, Me

CPK Goodbye dinner

CPK Goodbye dinner
Josh, Erin, Brooke, Josh, Brandon, Camie, Juan. Right before we moved to Texas from Cali.

Powered by Blogger.

Friday, January 16, 2009

Today's Rant

Well, I've already had quite a good morning and it's only 10:00...a.m. Let me just explain.

We are now on our 4th day without a water heater. We woke up Tuesday morning with cold water. Very exciting, I know. Josh was in the shower and it all of a sudden went cold. Well, before he left work he got it working so I was able to take a shower with warm water. We woke up Wednesday morning to the same problem again so Josh once again took a shower with cold water. Well, I called the plumbing people to see if they could come out and fix it because we are still under warranty. Well, they come out that night and leave saying it's fixed. Well, we checked it before we went to bed that night just to be safe and what do we find...a water heater not heating the water. So Josh got up about an hour early Thursday and tried to get the heater lit so he could take a semi-warm shower. It took him about a half an hour but was able to get it lit so he was able to take a warm shower. Well I called them Thursday morning and they said that they were going to come fix it again and that they were just going to bring a new part to be switched out. Well, I called a friend in my ward to see if she could possible be "on-call" for me because I had to go to work and Josh was at work but I needed somebody to let them in when they got here so that they could fix it. Well, she was very kind and was able to help me out.
Josh got home about a half an hour after the plumber had fixed the water heater and so he goes to check it out...yes, the water heater was already not working. So I had had enough. I called the plumbing emergency line and I got an answering machine. It basically said to leave a message and someone will call you back within 20 minutes. So I left a message saying that they keep saying they've fixed it and then it's not fixed and that it's winter and we are sick of having cold water and not being able to use our dishwasher and that we wanted it fixed that night. Well nobody called me back. I waited about 35 minutes and then decided to call again. So I left another message basically saying the same thing and that I had expected to receive a call within 20 minutes and it didn't happen but that I really expected it this time. Well, I got a call back within about 5 minutes. They told me that they were very sorry but that there was nothing that they could do that night but they did say that they were going to come on friday and that they were just going to replace the whole water heater. So that's a good thing because if we're already having problems within 6 months of living at our house then a brand new one sounds like the right way to go.

So that's basically a summary of the last 3 days. On to today:

So I get a call at 8:30 this morning which is already annoying because I actually get to sleep in on Fridays. I didn't get to the phone in time because it took me a minute to register the fact the my cell phone was ringing and I needed to answer it. So I got there too late but I looked at the missed call and realized that it was the water heater people. So I called them back right away and I get transferred the the plumbing manager. He says, "Well, we have a problem. We can install your waterheater today but from what I have been told by the guy that was there yesterday trying to fix your water heater, you have a water softener in the way of being able to get the water heater in or out of there."
So I say, "okay" (what am I supposed to do about it was what I was thinking)
He says, "I don't understand why there is a water softener in the attic anyway. Why would the water softener company install it there?"
And I said, "well probably because that's where the water softener loop was put"
He says, "no it wasn't put there. I am looking at the plans right now and it doesn't show any water softener loop there."
So I say, "Yes, that is where the water softener loop was put."
And guess what he says, "No it wasn't"
(Are you serious guy? Are you really trying to tell me where and where not the water softener loop was installed? Seriously?)
So, very irritatedly I say, "Yes it was. I am the one who built the house. I am the first owner. I am the one who walked through the house every week and I can guarantee you that that is where it was installed."
So then he says, "Well who installed it? The builders or the water softener company?"
So I say, "The builders"
And he has the nerve to say, "Well, I don't think so but either way you guys need to move the water softener so that we are able to proceed with installing the new water heater. I don't know how you guys want to deal with that but my advice is to call the water softener company and see if they can come out sometime today and move the water softener."
(So I'm thinking, why the heck is this guy arguing with me about where the stupid water softener loop was installed. Obviously that's where it was installed because that is now where the water softener is. How stupid can you be?)
So I say, "yes, that is where the water softener loop was installed. But back to the problem. I will call you back after I call my husband and see what he wants me to do."

So I call Josh and tell him the problem. Well, before I actually tell him the problem, I made sure he knew how rude the guy was to me, then I told him the problem. Josh said that the water heater people should be able to move the water softener because it just takes a plumber to be able to do that. A plumber installed the water softener so a plumber should be able to uninstall it. Well, after talking about it we realized that we would lose our warranty on the water softener if that company didn't uninstall and install it again. Shoot me. So I call the water softener company and told them the problem and the first question she asks is:
"Well, I don't understand why the water softener was installed in the attic in the first place. That is not standard."
Do I really have to have this conversation with her too?
So I said, "That's just where the water softener loop was installed."
So she puts me on hold to talk to her manager to see what they could do. She got back on the phone and said, "Well, we won't be able to get anybody out there today but if this person has his plumbing license, which he should because he's a plumber, then we will allow for him to uninstall and install it again without anything happening to your warranty."
Well, that was a big relief. I was very thankful that that went in our favor. So I called the guy and left him a message to tell him that he could just move it himself but he hasn't called back. I don't think he'll be very happy that his company has to do more work than they want to but it still goes back to the fact that that's not my problem. They're the ones that can't seem to fix it and I'm not going to go any more days without a water heater. Okay, sorry to bug everybody with my problems, but rant now over...well at least for now. I will let you know what the guy says when he calls me back.

4 comments:

Regan said...

Wow - what a pain in the neck. I would make sure you get in writing what the lady said about it not voiding your warranty to have someone else move the softener. Sheesh. I can't imagine being without hot water for so long, and in your brand new house! Hope your day gets better from this point on!

Jan said...

OH. MY. WORD. What an enormous frustration -- made worse because you totally should not have to be dealing with this on a brand new house.

Rant away. All you want! I hate this for you.

Jen said...

Holy Cow!!!! I'm going to e-mail you right now.

Melissa Marilyn said...

BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!! I just moved last Saturday and it took almost a week to get my shower fixed. It had two temps-hot and hotter. Sheesh! Sorry for your frustration and that your sleep was interrupted. Some people are just lame!